The public work of rhetoric citizen-scholars and civic engagement /
|Other Authors:||Ackerman, John, 1934-, Coogan, David.|
University of South Carolina Press,
xvi, 308 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
Studies in rhetoric/communication.
Table of Contents:
- The space to work in public life / David J. Coogan and John M. Ackerman
- Should we name the tools? Concealing and revealing the art of rhetoric / Carolyn R. Miller
- Power, publics, and the rhetorical uses of democracy / Candice Rai
- The public work of critical political communication / M. Lane Bruner
- Rhetorical engagement in the cultural economies of cities / John M. Ackerman
- Democracy and its limitations / Ralph Cintron
- Rhetorical engagements in the scientist's process of remaking race as genetic / Celeste M. Condit
- Going public in a disabling discourse / Linda Flower
- Sophists for social change / David J. Coogan
- Knowledge work with the Cherokee Nation : the pedagogy of engaging publics in a praxis of new media / Ellen Cushman and Erik Green
- On being useful : rhetoric and the work of engagement / Jeffrey T. Grabill
- Finding a place for school in rhetoric's public turn / David Fleming
- Mediating differences / Erik Juergensmeyer and Thomas P. Miller
- A place for the dissident press in a rhetorical education : "sending up a signal flare in the darkness" / Diana George and Paula Mathieu
- The Community Literacy Advocacy Project : civic revival through rhetorical activity in rural Arkansas / David A. Jolliffe
- The prospects for the public work of rhetoric : a coda on codes / Susan C. Jarratt.