Beasts at bedtime revealing the environmental wisdom in children's literature /
Talking lions, philosophical bears, very hungry caterpillars, wise spiders, altruistic trees, companionable moles, urbane elephants: this is the magnificent menagerie that delights our children at bedtime. Within the entertaining pages of many children's books, however, also lie profound teachi...
|Main Author:||Heneghan, Liam,|
The University of Chicago Press,
338 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm.
- Section one.
- On reading.
- Existential princess : a fairy tale.
- Beasts at bedtime : reading about nature with children ;
- Doctor Dolittle and the question of reading
- Section two.
- Pastoral stories.
- Pastoral promise : and they all lived happily ever after ;
- Ecology of Pooh ;
- Peter Rabbit's brutal paradise ;
- In the garden of earthly delights ;
- Beyond the pool of darkness : the pastoral roots of Irish stories
- Section three.
- Wilderness stories.
- Lost in the Popo Agie Wilderness.
- On the Mallard ;
- Where the wild things always were ;
- Wild and Grimm fairy tales : wilderness on the margins ;
- "Gollumgate" : Tolkien and Ireland ;
- "I am in fact a hobbit" : Tolkien as environmentalist ;
- Tin woodman's path of carnage through the Land of Oz ;
- Hunger and thirst in Suzanne Collins's Hunger games
- Section four.
- Children on wild islands.
- Old Tom's island.
- Why and the what of islands ;
- Archmage Ged, Merlin, and Harry Potter and the training of wizards and witches ;
- Is L.T. Meade the real author of Enid Blyton's famous five? ;
- Robinson Crusoe : now here's a cannibalism tale for every child ;
- On isles benevolent; on isles malevolent
- Section five.
- Urban stories.
- Urban wild.
- Urban to rural gradient of children's stories : The happy prince ;
- Antipathy to urban life in nursery rhymes ;
- Urban decay : R. Crumb in the nursery ;
- Escape artist : Calvin and Hobbes and the suburban idyll ;
- Babar : elephant and urban adapter
- Section six.
- Learning to care.
- And the world hummed back.
- Caring for the rose : environmental literacy and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The little prince ;
- What then should we do? : the Lorax in the twenty-first century
- Section seven.
- Good night, sleep tight.
- In the tot lot.
- Bookend conversations.