Cosmic heritage evolution from the Big Bang to conscious life /
This book follows the evolutionary trail all the way from the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago to conscious life today. It is an accessible introductory book written for the interested layperson - anyone interested in the 'big picture' coming from modern science. It covers a wide range of t...
|Main Author:||Shaver, P. A. 1943-|
|Other Authors:||SpringerLink (Online service)|
Berlin ; New York :
1 online resource (vii, 268 pages) : color illustrations.
Table of Contents:
- Setting the scene
- The universe is expanding and evolving
- What's the matter?
- Inner and outer space
- The origin of our universe
- and others?
- Is our universe fine-tuned for life?
- The universe on fast forward
- The cradles of life
- The astonishing diversity of life
- The astonishing unity of life
- How did life begin?
- How did life evolve?
- Comings and goings
- Did cognition evolve?
- What about consciousness?
- Are we special?
- Are we alone in the universe?
- What is the future of the universe?
- Why should we be able to understand the universe at all?
- Further Reading